For many housewives, home carpet cleaning is a real test, especially if it has many hard-to-remove stains, so it is important to use special or improvised carpet cleaners to clean up this task. Consider some of the cheapest but effective means for cleaning carpets, namely bicarbonate of soda and vinegar, and also how to use them correctly for cleaning different types of carpets and area rugs.
Some of you immediately doubt whether it is worth cleaning carpets with bicarbonate of soda because in stores you can find special means for cleaning carpets, which you can accurately answer - yes! Bicarbonate of soda is used to remove stains from carpets, to combat unpleasant odors and to simply refresh the appearance of carpeting. It has proven its effectiveness by thousands of positive hostess reviews, while it is absolutely safe and very cheap.
Like most other types of improvised tools that are used for cleaning carpets and area rugs at home, the use of vinegar and bicarbonate of soda for cleaning carpets from stains has its pros and cons, which every carpet owner must know, so consider them in detail below.
Advantages of Bicarbonate of Soda of Carpet Cleaning
Bicarbonate of soda really removes dirt from your carpet. This fact is verified by time and on various carpets by the hostesses in many countries.
Bicarbonate of soda not only helps to remove stains and small dirt from the carpet, but will also refresh its appearance.
Bicarbonate of soda does not harm the health of your family and pets. With the observance of the simplest safety carpet cleaning techniques, bicarbonate of soda is absolutely harmless.
Bicarbonate of soda can be used at homes with pregnant women, babies and people with over sensitive skin.
After cleaning carpets with bicarbonate of soda there is no unpleasant chemical smell. Unlike many special carpet cleaning products, after cleaning the rug with soda there will be no smell of chemicals and flavors.
The cost of bicarbonate of soda is more than affordable. It's not a secret that soda is cheap and affordable for everyone.
Bicarbonate of soda is available to everyone. If you do not have soda in the house, you can easily buy it in almost every grocery store or supermarket near the house.
Disadvantages of Cleaning Carpets with Bicarbonate of Soda
Like many other products, it is not recommended to use bicarbonate of soda for cleaning hand-made silk carpets.
You will not see immediate positive effect of carpet cleaning with bicarbonate of soda with the first cleaning of the carpet. Sometimes it is necessary to clean the carpet with bicarbonate of soda several times in a row to clean out all the dirt and remove stains.
Ordinary bicarbonate of soda can not cope with severe dirt and stains on the carpet. If the stain is old, or difficult to remove, then it needs a special approach to cleaning, or a special dry cleaning.
Recipes for Carpet Cleaning with Bicarbonate of Soda at Home Dry Carpet Cleaning
The sequence of carpet cleaning is the following:
1. Vacuum the carpet or area rug to collect small debris and dust.
2. Then evenly sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the carpet.
3. Leave the carpet for half an hour to stay.
4. Carefully vacuum the carpet in the direction of the nap several times to collect all the soda.
When removing stains from the carpet, this method can also help well. The sequence of removal of stains from the carpet with bicarbonate of soda is the same as the dry cleaning of the entire carpet. The only difference is that the stain on the carpet should not only be sprinkled with soda, but gently rub it into the pile (palm, clean brush with soft nap) the edges of the spot to its center (especially if the spot is fresh and only set).
Wet Carpet Cleaning
For a more thorough cleaning of the carpet, you can use wet cleaning with bicarbonate of soda, but this procedure is not desirable to use often, since many materials used to make carpets should not be wet.
The sequence of wet cleaning of carpets with bicarbonate of soda is as follows:
1. Prepare a solution of bicarbonate of soda to clean the carpet, namely mix 1 glass of bicarbonate of soda with 10 liters of water (you can use a basin, a bucket). If the carpet or area rug is small, then you can make less solution of bicarbonate of soda and water, keeping the proportion. Water should be warm, but not hot.
2. Vacuum the carpet from dust and small debris.
3. Spray the prepared soda solution onto the carpet. To do this, you can use a spray gun. In places on the carpet where there are obvious spots, you can gently rub the solution into the pile with a brush with a soft pile or hand.
Wait for the carpet to dry completely. It can take from 30 minutes or more, depending on the temperature and humidity in the room, and also on how much the wet carpet is.
Carefully vacuum the carpet several times so that all dirt and soda will come out.
Carpet Cleaning with Soda and Vinegar
Cleaning carpets with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar is a more complicated process, in contrast to the previous ones. The main thing before beginning the cleaning is to check the carpet's reaction to vinegar to make sure that it does not damage the carpet nap, its base and dyes.
1. Prepare a solution of vinegar to clean the carpet, namely mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 liter of warm water.
2. Evenly sprinkle the entire surface of the carpet with bicarbonate of soda.
3. You have to wait at least 30 min and then vacuum the carpet.
4. Spray a solution of vinegar on the pile of the carpet and wait at least 30 minutes for vinegar to react with the remains of soda in the pile.
You should use a clean brush for carpet cleaning. It is important to know that at that moment the carpet has to be completely dry.
1. You should prepare a solution of vinegar (1 tbsp of vinegar mixed with 4 tablespoons of warm water).
2. Then vacuum the carpet.
3. Apply the solution with a clean sponge or rag
4. Next, sprinkle these spots with bicarbonate of soda and wait until they are completely dry.